Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Jesus Loves Me

You may know a simple song many of us learned as children:

Jesus loves me, this I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong.
They are weak, but He is strong.

Why do I know that Jesus loves me? Because the Bible tells me so. That's all well and good, but it presumes that I believe the Bible.

So a good questions is: Why do I believe the Bible? That answer isn't as easy to give.

I believe the Bible because its historicity has been proven.

I believe the Bible because its prophecies have come true.

I believe the Bible because a group of ragtag followers of Christ started an amazing movement of faith that is strong today.

But most of all, I believe the Bible because of how the God of the Bible has been faithful to me. In spite of years of rebellion, in spite of fists in His face, He has provided for me, protected me, and loved me when I haven't deserved it in the least.

He's blessed me. He's offered me grace and mercy.

I believe in that God, and if He says His word is truth, I believe that too. And since I believe His word is truth, I can believe that Jesus really does love me--enough to sacrifice Himself for me.

Jesus does love me, and this I know because the Bible--God's true word--tells me so.

No comments: