Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hear My Heart

This is a love letter to any sister who may be thinking about marrying someone who doesn't share her faith.

My dear sister in Christ,

Over the last ten days, I've celebrated our Lord's victory over death, and I've celebrated my nineteenth wedding anniversary. On Easter Sunday, I sat with my brothers and sisters in Christ, and I lifted my voice with theirs in praise and worship. It was truly a joyful experience. Then this last weekend, my husband and I spent a long weekend enjoying each other. It too was truly a joyful experience.

But a part of me was very, very sad. Sadness in the midst of such joy? Oh, yes.

Part of the sadness on Easter was because, even in the midst of the crowd, I sat alone. My husband wasn't with me. It was the fourteenth Easter that I celebrated alone. But that's not what made me the saddest.

What makes me the saddest, what makes me want to weep--and indeed tears fill my eyes as I write this--is that Russ cannot share the joy of knowing Jesus. He doesn't know the resurrected Savior. And it breaks my heart. There's little that's more painful than knowing that the love of your life doesn't have the assurance of salvation.

So, here's the purpose of this letter. Please listen to me. Please hear my heart.

Don't open yourself up to this sadness, this pain. The Bible is clear that we're not to be unequally yoked. Don't think you can save him. You can't.

Pray for him. Persistently and consistently pray. But don't marry him.

Be a Christ-like example to him. But don't risk the heartbreak of sitting alone each Easter.

Please, my sister. Hear my heart.

1 comment:

A mom said...

Sauni,

These are painful but wise words.
I can relate to this sadness in the midst of joy and the constant battle in my mind concerning eternity without him.

Yes, he does not know what he is missing and all I can do is pray that one day...soon...he will see, understand and embrace the loving grace of Jesus Christ.

Until then, I stand by you Sauni and all the wives who are married to an unbeliever...praying without ceasing.

We can't save them. Only God can.