Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Abundant Life

I have a little "treasure box" on my desk, and the verse I see today is John 10:10. This verse tells me that Jesus came to give me life. But it says more than just life. It says life "more abundantly." Dictionary.com says that "abundantly" means "well supplied" or "richly supplied."

I like that last definition . . . richly supplied.

It reminds me of another verse. You may be familiar with it. Philippians 4:19 tells me that my God "shall supply all [my] need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Notice that it doesn't say all my wants will be supplied. No, God promises that all my needs will be supplied. That's abundant life.

We sometimes get caught up in what society says we "need." We need a certain car. We need a certain home. We need certain clothes.

Guess what? We don't need anything except food, water, something to clothe our bodies (and not what's trendy), and a roof over our heads. That's it.

Oh, and one other need: We need a relationship with our Lord God.

Everything else is just icing.

I'm beginning to learn that abundant life isn't about the stuff. It's about experiencing God. It's about coming to know Him more. It's about seeing how He chooses to bless me.

That's abundant life.

No comments: