Friday, September 21, 2007

God's "Balance Sheet"

I'm preparing to speak at a retreat in October, and our theme is "A Future and a Hope." We'll be focusing on one of my favorite topics: God's perfect plan.

I've been in a bit of a valley lately (past entries touch on this), and it's been God's perfect timing that I'm revisiting His promise for a future and a hope. And I want to take a moment to encourage you, if you, too, are in a valley.

I know you're familiar with Romans 8:28, and you may be asking how what you're going through can possibly work together for good.

Not long ago, a speaker at chapel time at work (yes, I work at a credit union where we have chapel time!) spoke about "God's balance sheet." The concept is that when we're in a dark time, we can look back at what God has done. And we usually find that His balance sheet is weighted firmly in His favor.

Try this: Look back over your life (I call this the gift of hindsight), and see how God has protected you or provide for you or blessed you. Look at those times when it could only have been His hand guiding you. Remember how faithful He's been.

That's what I've been doing lately. Although this moment in time seems so hard, I look back at my life's journey, and I see so clearly how He's worked in my life.

He really is faithful. Everything that's happened in my life is part of His master plan--His loving plan. And His balance sheet is fully in the black.

No comments: