Thursday, January 22, 2009

Be Still

I've committed Psalm 46:1-2b to memory. It's one of my many favorites, and I love knowing that God is my refuge and strength.

I forgot, though, that another verse I quote often is also from this psalm. Verse 10a says "Be still and know that I am God" (NKJV).

The New American Standard says to "cease striving," and I love what it says in the notes of my study Bible: cease striving means to "let go" or "relax."

I can let go of my worries. I can be still in the moment. I can cease striving to do it on my own. And I can relax knowing that God really is my refuge and strength. He is my very present help in times of trouble and I don't need to fear.

In these uncertain times--a new administration, a stock market that continues its roller coaster ride, lost jobs and homes--it's comforting to know that I can trust Him.

Lord, help me to be still knowing You are God. You are in loving control of all things, and I need not fear. Amen

No comments: