Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Giver of Peace (Eph. 2:14-16)

For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.
(Ephesians 2:14-16, NASB)

Jesus provides reconciliation for everyone. Everyone. He “broke down the barrier of the dividing wall” between Jew and Gentile. He brought peace to all people.

And He’s still the Giver of peace. We can call the Father, Jehovah Shalom, the Lord is peace.

One of my favorite verses about peace comes from one of my favorite books. Philippians 4:6-7 commands us to:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
I often speak on Jeremiah 29:11-13, and when I get to the part about God’s having a plan of peace for our lives, I say:
Do you know what this verse says to me? When I’m focusing on God, when I’m asking in His name, when I’m praying for His will, I can be assured of two things: I don’t need to be anxious for anything, and I will have peace—a peace that surpasses anything I could experience without God in my life, a peace that surpasses anything that I could get from my earthly relationships, from my job, from my church, from my family . . . from anything else. Isn’t that what you’re looking for? A peace that surpasses anything you’ve ever experienced? Ask Him. Ask Him now. Give your plans, your timelines, your dreams to Him. Trust Him to bring about that perfect will in your life. Then, and only then, will you have that peace. You will have that peace. I promise. More importantly, He promises.
Could you use a little peace in your life? First, you need to know the Giver of peace. And then just ask Him.

No comments: