Monday, May 30, 2011

Wives Be Subject ... (Eph. 5:18-21)

Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
(Ephesians 5:18-21, NASB)

Over a year ago, I meditated on 1 Peter for this devotional. And when I got to 1 Peter 3:1-6, I wrote the following (and since today’s verses deal with the same, I’m going to use these words again):

I almost want to skip today’s verses because someone’s going to take issue with what I’m going to say. I can guarantee it. But if I’m going to go through [Ephesians] verse by verse, I need to meditate on every verse, even those that are uncomfortable for me or for others.
So here we go.

Submission—biblical submission—has quite a negative rap these days. I believe it’s not as bad as people make it out to be. I’m writing a Bible study for women in unequally yoked marriages, and I address this:
Submissive: Being willing to be subject to something. Did you catch that? To submit is an issue of willingness. I read recently that a wife-to-husband relationship is similar to a vice president-to-president relationship. Certainly a vice president is able to do as much (or perhaps more) than the president. They work together, often make decisions together. However, he willingly submits to the authority of the president because there needs to be one leader. In the same way, we as wives contribute and have a voice, but there does have to be a final authority. Submission does not mean we’re to accept bullying or abuse.”
Excerpted from You’re Not Alone © 2010 Sauni Rinehart
I believe there does need to be one leader in a marriage, one final decision maker. But I also believe in a healthy marriage, husbands and wives want the best for each other. So they’ll cooperate. They’ll discuss. They’ll compromise. So submission isn’t so difficult.

You may disagree, but I challenge you. If you’re in a Christian marriage, pray for God to work in your heart. Pray for that “imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit” (1 Peter 1:4).

Not a doormat. Not a whipping post. Rather, a woman of God who desires to be precious in the sight of her God.

No comments: