Thursday, June 30, 2011

Proven Character (Phil. 2:19-24)

But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state. For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus. But you know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel. Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it goes with me. But I trust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly.
(Philippians 2:19-24, NKJV)

One of the many things I love about Paul’s epistles is how real they are. Just as any letter we would write, he includes little bits of personal business. These verses don’t have any real exhortation or teaching. They just state what Paul plans to do. He’s going to send Timothy to the Philippian Christians to care for them and report back to Paul how they’re doing. And he himself hopes to come to them soon.

In the middle of this information-giving, Paul drops a little nugget: He’s sending Timothy in particular because of his “proven character.” This young protégé of Paul’s served with his father and has already proven himself to be a man of character who loves the gospel. Paul is certain the younger man will care deeply for the people—just as Paul himself would.

Isn’t that how you want to be described? A person of proven character who sincerely cares for fellow believers? A person who serves God and shares the gospel?

I know I do. I have a long way to go (and thankfully I’m still that work in progress here on earth!), but I pray God will continue to refine my character and draw me more closely to Him. And I know He will.

No comments: