Friday, August 05, 2011

Do Not Be Deceived (James 1:13-16)

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.
(James 1:13-16, NASB)

For reasons beyond my comprehension, God has allowed evil to exist since Adam and Eve. And He’s allowed this continual battle between those who follow Him and the “spiritual hosts of wickedness” (Eph. 6:12).

But He Himself does not tempt us. Rather, we allow circumstances or other people to infiltrate our hearts and minds. We make poor choices. We listen to the voice of the enemy.

And when we open ourselves to those things not of God, we are enveloped by sin. And unrepentant sin leads to death—eternal separation from God.

I spent many years with my back turned firmly away from God. I let myself think that, because I’d been abused and hurt as a child, I had an excuse. If God allowed these things to happen, I thought, then I would make my own decisions, chart my own course.

I was deceived.

It wasn’t until I realized that I was indeed in a battle, and I was letting the enemy win, that I came back to the One who will be ultimately victorious.

Don’t let the enemy win. If you’re struggling with sin, turn it over to the Lord. Ask Him to forgive you and to help you overcome whatever temptation the enemy of your soul sends.

Do not be deceived, my friend

No comments: