Friday, February 01, 2013

Faith Firmly Established (Colossians 1:21-23)



Today's scripture: Colossians 1:21-23

Yesterday, we praised God because those of us who have accepted the gift of salvation through God's grace are reconciled to Him.


Today's verses remind us of two things:

First, because are indeed reconciled to our God, we are "holy and blameless and beyond reproach" in our Father's eyes. I don't know about you, but there are days when I feel far from "holy and blameless and beyond reproach." Those days when I'm selfish or let pride rear its ugly head. Those days when I get mad at other drivers or frustrated with a student. Those days when the pain makes me grumpy and I snap at my husband.

But because I know I've been reconciled to God, I know I can confess each sin, and He will look on me through eyes of love and grace.

Second, we who follow Christ must "continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not [be] moved from the hope of the gospel ..." The enemy of our souls would like nothing more than to lure us away from a daily, focused walk with the Lord. He is not all-powerful, so he certainly isn't in control of a whole lot (although I'm sure he thinks he is). And he can never, ever take our salvation from us.

But he knows if he can whisper lies that draw our focus from God, he may be able to win a battle or two. He may keep us from seeking God. He may keep us from sharing God's truth.

We need to stand firm in faith, and the only way to do that is to spend time in God's word and in prayer. If you've been reading these devotionals for a while, I might sound like a broken record, but I believe this so deeply. Just as we must work to nurture our earthly relationships, we must work to nurture the most important relationship of all.

We must be know our God—really, really know Him. And when we do, our faith grows, and the enemy can't get even a toehold.

No comments: