Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Bold and Confident (Ephesians 3:11-12)

Today's scripture: Ephesians 3:11-12

How bold is your faith? How confident are you in God’s eternal purpose?

I would like to be able to say I’m as bold as Paul, as confident as Peter. Or as my maternal grandfather.

My Grandpa Hess was bold in his faith. He never failed to tell others about his love for his Savior. He was, along with Paul, “
not ashamed of the gospel” because he knew it is “the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes” (Romans 1:16).

He always believed God had a purpose for his life, and he lived to fulfill that purpose.

This is my legacy. Yet how often do I fail to share the good news of salvation. How often do I lack confidence in God’s eternal purpose.

If you’ve been reading this devotional for a while, you know I deal with chronic health issues, and there are days when I still ask, “Why?” While I don’t lose faith in God, I certainly question His purpose in my pain.

I allow my momentary, temporary pain cloud my vision of God’s faithfulness to me. I fail to remember that “… the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us” (Romans 8:18).

I certainly don’t remain bold and confident.

When these days come my way, I confess my doubt and questioning, and my Lord God forgives me … yet again.

So … today’s a new day, and I pray for a renewed boldness in faith and a fresh confidence in God’s eternal purpose, trusting His higher-than-mine ways (Isaiah 55:9).

I pray the same for you.

No comments: