Friday, July 07, 2017

Sufficient Grace (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Today’s scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:9

I love today’s verse. And I think that those of us who deal with chronic health issues find hope in it.

In context, Paul was writing about a “thorn” that he suffered with. He’d asked the Lord to remove the thorn, but He, in His infinite wisdom, chose not to. Paul realized that this thorn was meant to bring him closer to God and to know where true strength comes from.

Being physically weak makes me spiritually strong. What? you ask. That seems counter-intuitive.

I know. But it’s true.

I wake up every morning in pain. Some days are better than others, but pain just the same. And I wake up every morning and seek God’s strength without which I wouldn’t be able to handle the pain.

In His grace, I find strength.

But why doesn’t He just take away the pain? you ask.

I’m honestly not sure. He certainly could heal me completely. But since I’ve dealt with chronic health issues for almost 40 years, I don’t think He will.

What I do know is that my pain brings me closer to Him. I’m confident He has a purpose for the pain, and I know He gives me strength to deal with it.

His “grace is sufficient.”

No comments: