Thursday, May 15, 2008

Consider What Great Things

I've been reading in 1 Samuel the last several days, and I came across a verse that I'm sure I've read before . . . but it really touched my heart this time.

1 Samuel 12: 24 says, "Only fear the Lord and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you."

These words are so true. I should desire to serve the Lord with all my heart because He has done great and amazing things for me.

When I wrote my book, The Best Laid Plans, I talked a lot about hindsight, looking back over what God's done in our lives. In fact, I call it the "gift" of hindsight. And it truly is a gift. God has protected me, strengthened me, blessed me beyond expectation. He's carried me through the hard times, and even when I wanted nothing to do with Him, He remained by my side.

So I really should desire to reverence Him (in case you don't know, that's what "fear" means in that verse) and serve Him.

And most importantly, I need to remember His goodness to me, to consider those "great things."

No comments: