Thursday, May 14, 2009

God has Heard

I really try not to whine . . . at least not too much.

But sometimes, life really kicks me to the curb, and I can't help wondering if God really hears me. You know those days when you pray, and you realize the old cliche is really true: Your prayers don't go any higher than the ceiling.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had more than one day like that.

I watch my mother-in-law decline physically and mentally, and I pray for her suffering to end. But it doesn't.

I wake up feeling like a huge weight is pressing me down, and I pray for supernatural energy. But I don't get it.

I hear my husband talk, seemingly still far from faith, and I pray for his heart to soften. But nothing changes.

And so I whine a bit. I wonder, does God really hear me? And then, because I try to continue any Bible study or reading even when I don't feel like it, God reminds me: He really does hear me. He's just working in ways I can't see.

He also reminds me of His past faithfulness to me. It's times like this when I have to look back on what He's done and see the purpose in everything that's happened in my life.

I still watch Ruth with sadness. I still have daily fatigue and pain. I still grieve for Russ's lack of faith. That's my human side. But I just have to believe, although I don't see the purpose today, a day will come when I'll better understand today's suffering and frustration.

I'll leave you with some verses from Psalm 55. These touched my heart this week. I hope they'll touch yours too.

Come and hear, all who fear God,
And I will tell of what He has done for my soul.
I cried to Him with my mouth,
And He was extolled with my tongue.
If I regard wickedness in my heart,
The Lord will not hear;
But certainly God has heard;
He has given heed to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, Who has not turned away my prayer
Nor His lovingkindness from me.
(16-20)

No comments: