Thursday, August 13, 2009

Will I Ever Learn?

Just last week, I wrote about how much God touched me and gifted me with exceeded expectations.

Then this week . . . I began to feel very discouraged. I'm in a play at a local theater, and we open on Saturday. For the last five weeks, I've had this off and on throat thing going on, and it's on again. My voice is scratchy, and my role requires some singing.

My desire is to always serve God with excellence, and I've been fretting about letting Him down. Letting my director down. Letting the cast down.

Fretting. Worry. Anxiety. Discouragement.

Things I know I shouldn't feel. Things I know I don't have to feel. Truly . . . when will I learn?

Fortunately, I have a very patient Teacher. I'm studying Isaiah right now, and yesterday, as I sat stewing, the Lord showed me this verse in chapter 41:

Fear not for I am with you;
Be not dismayed for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

(v. 10)

Aren't those awe-inspiring words? I don't have to worry about anything. I don't have to fear. God is (and always has been) my strength.

So, today, I know that no matter what happens this weekend, God will uphold me.

Now I'd like to say I've finally learned the lesson for good, but I know my humanity will kick in every once in a while.

Perhaps it's enough that I've learned the lesson a little better for this day.

No comments: