Monday, November 15, 2010

Jesus Is Our Hope (1 Tim. 1:1-2)

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope, to Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
(1 Timothy 1:1-2, NASB)

“Jesus Christ, who is our hope …”

Webster’s Dictionary defines hope as a “desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment.” When we think of Jesus as being our “hope,” what expectation do we have? What do we believe in? What fulfillment do we desire?

I can only answer for myself, but my hope in Jesus is what makes me get out of bed each morning. If I didn’t have hope in Him, I’d simply give up.

My hope in Jesus reminds me that God has a purpose for my life. When I accepted Jesus’ gift of salvation and invited Him into my life, I became a child of the Father. And my Father loves me and has a plan for my life, one that gives me a “future and a hope” (Jer. 29:11).

I believe in God’s purpose for my life here on earth, and I live in expectation of eternity in His presence. I desire to be exactly who He’s created me to be now, and I desire even more the time when I'll praise Him and serve Him forever.

Without this hope, my life would be meaningless. There would be no purpose for my pain. No value for my ministry. No significance for my relationships.

Ah, but I do have hope. I know beyond doubt that God does have a plan for my life. I believe with all my heart that His plan is good (Rom. 8:28).

And that hope gives me a reason to push back my covers and, with Jesus holding my hand, face another day.

No comments: