Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Plan Backfires (Est. 7:1-6)

The king and Haman were dining with Esther and drinking wine during the second dinner, when the king again said, "Esther, what can I do for you? Just ask, and I will give you as much as half of my kingdom!" Esther answered, "Your Majesty, if you really care for me and are willing to help, you can save me and my people. That's what I really want, because a reward has been promised to anyone who kills my people. Your Majesty, if we were merely going to be sold as slaves, I would not have bothered you." "Who would dare to do such a thing?" the king asked. Esther replied, "That evil Haman is the one out to get us!" Haman was terrified, as he looked at the king and the queen.
(Esther 7:1-6, CEV)

We’ve reached the climax of our story.

The second dinner party with the royal company and Haman is underway, and the king tells Esther yet again that she can have whatever she wants, up to half the kingdom.

Finally, Esther is able to tell the king exactly what she wants. The lives of her people.

I imagine what was going through Haman’s mind as soon as the words, “… a reward has been promised to anyone who kills my people.”

The queen is Jewish?

He must have been shocked. This was not part of the plan. Not at all.

And then the next words, “That evil Haman is out to get us!”

Terrified? I think that’s an understatement. Immobile with fright. Petrified.

Haman is beginning to realize that his hatred of a people and his plan to wipe them out is about to backfire.

No comments: