Monday, September 26, 2011

Love Each Other (1 Thess. 3:11-13)

Now may our God and Father Himself and Jesus our Lord direct our way to you; and may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another, and for all people, just as we also do for you; so that He may establish your hearts without blame in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all His saints.
(1 Thessalonians 3:11-13, NASB)

Encourage each other. Comfort each other. Rejoice in each other.

Love each other.

I’ve written about this before: Our creator God is love, and He created us to love. We are created to love Him and each other.

The English language only has one word for love. And we use it in many ways. I love my husband. I love my dogs. I love ice cream. I love my family. I love musical theater.

I love God.

The Greek language has several words for love. Eros is intimate love in marriage. Storge is familial love. Agape is unconditional love—the love God has for us.

And Philia is love between friends. This is the love we often find when we meet our brothers and sisters in Christ. So often, we meet someone who shares our faith, and there’s an immediate connection.

Just recently, I began a new Bible study at my church. I met a new group of ladies as we broke into small groups. It’s still early, but as we share prayer requests and what God is doing in our hearts, we’re learning to love each other.

We’re learning to do as Jesus commanded: Loving each other as we do ourselves.

No comments: