Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rejoice in Each Other (1 Thess. 3:9-10)

For what thanks can we render to God for you in return for all the joy with which we rejoice before our God on your account, as we night and day keep praying most earnestly that we may see your face, and may complete what is lacking in your faith?
(1 Thessalonians 3:9-10, NASB)

We are encouraged by our brothers and sisters in Christ. We are comforted by them.

And we rejoice in them.

When I see a child of God use his or her gifts and talents to serve God, it brings me great joy. I’ve spent the last eleven weeks or so with a cast of wonderful actors as we’ve rehearsed and performed a new dramatic adaptation of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables. We close today, and it’s rather bittersweet. Part of me is happy to get my weekends back! And yet, I know I’ll miss this particular group of actors.

What I’ll miss the most is seeing the fellowship and camaraderie that’s occurred as we’ve grown closer. And I’ll miss the joy I feel as I stand off-stage to watch my cast mates give their all to tell a powerful story of grace and redemption.

But I’ll continue to rejoice as they pursue God’s plan for their lives. And I’ll continue to rejoice as I watch all my brothers and sisters do what God has gifted them to do.

No comments: