Thursday, August 02, 2012

Believe, Then Speak (2 Cor. 4:13-14)

But having the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, “I BELIEVED, THEREFORE I SPOKE,” we also believe, therefore we also speak, knowing that He who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and will present us with you. For all things are for your sakes, so that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God.
(2 Corinthians 4:13-15, NASB)

As often happens, today’s verses both convicted and encouraged me.

The conviction comes from verse 13: “… we also believe, therefore we also speak …”

I believe in God—Father, Son, and Spirit—with all my heart. I believe this world was created by Him. I believe sin entered the world when Adam and Eve chose to follow their own way instead of God’s. I believe God always had a plan of salvation that culminated with the death, burial, and resurrection of God the Son, Jesus Christ.

I believe this with all my heart.

Yet, how often do I speak about what I believe? Not often enough. And I have such easy “openers.” I have a speaking ministry. One of the schools I teach for is a Christian university. I even volunteer frequently at a faith-based theater. There is nothing that should keep me from telling others about my beliefs … nothing except my own feelings of inadequacy or fear, that is.

I’m challenging myself to take every opportunity to just say, “This is what I do,” and see how the lines of communication open.

But I’m also encouraged by these verses when I remember how the story of God’s grace is “
spreading to more and more people.” Even if I’m not speaking as often as I could, I’m so grateful for those who have heard God’s call and speak His name with boldness.

As I write these words, one of my nephews and his wife are on a short-term mission trip. This is their third (or fourth?) such trip, and they go with boldness and enthusiasm, eager to share Christ with others.

God’s story will be told, with me or without me. With you or without you.

I think I’d rather it be told with me. What about you?

No comments: