Monday, December 03, 2012

God's Love Perfected in Us (1 John 4:11-13)


Today's scripture: 1 John 4:11-13

I don’t see God with my eyes; I see Him with my heart. I feel His presence in my very being. I know He’s in me. He’s with me. He abides in me.

What an amazing thought! And even moreso this time of the year when we're celebrating God the Son's demonstration of love by coming to earth, clothed in flesh.

Yes, God abides in me. And how do I show that He’s in me? I love others. I learn more about the God I serve and share Him with those around me. I serve selflessly.

I won’t kid you. It’s not always easy to love others. Some people I run into just aren’t loveable. But I can still love them as Jesus would. By looking beyond their weaknesses (since I have many of my own) and seeing one of God’s beloved creations.

As we continue to strive to love as Jesus would, God “perfects” His love in us. We find it easier and easier to love others. Even those who hurt us. Or malign us. Or treat us unfairly. Or live differently than we do.

I guess it comes down to this: Our lives on earth are so very short. We have eternity with Jesus to look forward to. So why not just love others during our temporary tenure? Why not just be Jesus to them?

No comments: