Monday, August 19, 2013

Ask ... and Receive (John 16:23-24)


Today's scripture: John 16:23-24

I've written about this often: We can pray for anything we want as long as we pray in Jesus' name and within the Father's will.

God will answer prayers. He will.

You've probably heard the phrase: God always answers prayers; sometimes, He answers "yes," sometimes "no," and sometimes "wait." I've experienced all three; I'm sure you have as well.

The "yes" answers are wonderful, encouraging, and affirming. Those are the prayers that, when answered, cause us to go around telling everyone how great God is. We pray for healing, and the tumor disappears. We pray for a job, and the phone rings. We pray for a specific need, and it's met the next moment. Oh, we do love those "yeses"!

What about the "no" answers, though? We pray for something, quoting scripture after scripture that promise answers to our prayers (including today's), and then the answer is a clear and final "no!" The door firmly—and sometimes loudly—closes. When Russ and I had been married for about four years, we decided it was time to have a baby. It's a long story, but during that season, I recommitted my life to the Lord. I prayed for months to get pregnant. Finally, it became clear that God's answer was "no." Because I prayed for His will, I accepted that answer. Even in that "no," however, there was a "yes." I had begun to pray for a baby or for peace if that was not His will. That was the prayer He answered.

Finally, we're often asked to "wait." Those are the hardest of all, I think. I've been praying for almost 20 years for an answer to a specific prayer. I pray within God's will, and I firmly believe this prayer will be answered with a "yes" some day. But for now, He's asking me to wait. In some ways, these are the most faith-building prayers of all. I have to trust that God is in loving control. I have to trust that He truly is working all things out for good.

The key for answered prayer is asking for God's will and trusting Him to accomplish that will in His time. If that's how you're praying, you can be confident that you can "ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full."

No comments: