Monday, February 01, 2016

Oh, Rubbish! (Philippians 3:7-11)

Today’s scripture: Philippians 3:7-11

How often do we put our trust in things? Or circumstances? Or people? How often do we think, if I only had this job? Or if I were married to so and so? Or if I lived there?

Then life would be perfect.

But that’s a lie. Things are temporary. Circumstances come and go. What we think is so important today means nothing tomorrow. Nothing has real meaning in this world. Nothing except our faith, that is. What the world sees as “gain” is “rubbish.” It’s trash. It belongs in a landfill.

When I speak, I often use this illustration: I hold out both hands facing up, and say, "It's all Yours, Lord." Then, I close one fist and say, "Well, except for ..." I complete the illustration by opening that fist again and saying, "We have to hold everything loosely and trust God to fulfill His purpose."

God has blessed us with so many things, but they're just things. So we can and should hold things loosely. We should gladly give up everything for Lord and Savior. We should be willing to lose what the world so highly cherishes, being assured that, if we do, we will attain what lasts: resurrection from the dead. Eternity with Christ.

Nothing else matters.

No comments: