Monday, February 22, 2016

You're a Saint! (Colossians 1:1-2)

Today's scripture: Colossians 1:1-2

We’ve been journeying through many of the apostle Paul's letters over the last year plus, and each of them has blessed me abundantly. Today, we begin meditating on his letter to the Christians at Colossae. I pray the Lord will speak through me, and that you will be as blessed as I know I will be.

As always, Paul begins this letter by greeting his brothers and sisters, those he calls "saints" and "faithful." Sometimes we think of saints as being those people who have done amazing and wonderful things for God's kingdom, but according God's word, anyone who has committed his or her life to Christ is a saint. Just read through the New Testament, and you'll see that every reference to "saint" is about men and women who follow Christ. No one is singled out as somehow better than others.

If you are a follower of Christ, you are a saint. You are sanctified in the eyes of God Almighty (1 Corinthians 6:11; Hebrews 10:10). You have been created to do God's work to build His kingdom (Ephesians 2:10).

What a blessing to know God loves us so much and sees us as saints!

The question I have to ask myself–and perhaps you need to ask yourself–is: Am I faithful? Yes, I am a child of God's because I accepted His gift of salvation through the death, burial, and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ. But am I faithful to Him? Do I live to please Him? Do I use the gifts and talents He's given me to serve and bring glory to Him?

Will I one day stand in His presence and hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant"?

I believe if I daily commit my life to Him, if I seek His will at all times, if I commune with Him through prayer and study, then yes. I will hear those wonderful, humbling words.

Will you?

No comments: