Friday, March 25, 2016

Bold AND Gracious (Colossians 4:5-6)

Today's scripture: Colossians 4:5-6

I’m going to be honest with you … One area I struggle with is being bold to share the gospel. I certainly don’t hide the fact that I’m a believer, but I’ve never been one to go up to a stranger and start talking about Jesus. Yes, I know that I don’t have the gift of evangelism, but I should be more vocal about my faith, sharing God’s truth with grace.

I’m often convicted when I read how bold Peter and John were in Acts 3-4. No matter what obstacles they faced, they couldn't "stop speaking about the things" they saw and heard (4:20). They were bold, yes, but they spoke to unbelievers with grace and truth.

I remember how Jesus spoke with unbelievers and seekers. He was always loving and gracious. The Samaritan woman. Nicodemus. Zaccheus. The throngs that would surround Him when He spoke.

The only time He showed righteous anger was when He was dealing with religious hypocrites. Then all bets were off. But as long as the person with whom He was speaking showed a genuine desire to know His truth, He answered questions with all the love He had for them.

I've been praying for boldness to share truth for quite a while now, and God answers this prayer bit by bit. I'm reminded, though, of how Pete and John were bold, yet loving. And how my Lord was exactly the same.

Be bold to tell truth, but temper it with love and grace. 

No comments: