Monday, November 06, 2017

Great Mercy (Luke 1:57-58)

Today’s scripture: Luke 1:57-58

When the Lord revealed to me that I wasn’t going to have children of my own, I have to admit, verses about God’s mercy in providing children to barren women (and there are several in the Bible) made me a bit melancholy.

Why did He show mercy to them and not to me?

It took a while, but I finally realized that He had “shown great mercy” to me in a couple of ways.

First, He answered my prayer for peace when His will was not for children.

Second, He did give me children—children of my heart and spiritual children. I have great nieces and nephews (and now great-nieces and nephews!) and “adopted” children, those young people whose lives I’ve been blessed to influence. I also have been exceedingly blessed to share the good news of salvation when I speak, and seeds have been planted and watered through God’s words through me.

So, now when I read those stories, I rejoice in God’s mercy … for them and for me.

No comments: