Wednesday, May 09, 2018

The Fool Has Said ... (Psalm 14)


Today’s scripture: Psalm 14

It’s rare that I cover an entire psalm in one posting, but when I read this psalm, I’m always reminded of a play that we discuss in the course I teach for Liberty University Online: Everyman.

It’s an ancient morality play in which the title character represents all men. Another character, Death, is sent by God to inform Everyman that he is to face judgment because God is distressed by the way Everyman lives. God says:
I perceive, here in My majesty,
How that all creatures be to Me unkind,
Living without dread in worldly prosperity.
Of ghostly sight the people be so blind,
Drowned in sin, they know Me not for God …
These words echo the psalmist’s:  
The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good.
And today? I think we could say the same. Very few of the created follow the Creator. In fact, too many don’t even acknowledge that He even exists.

I often wonder how and why God still lingers. Why hasn’t Christ returned to bring everlasting peace to the new heaven and the new earth? Why does sin abound? Why are there so many that say, “There is no God”?

I don’t know. I do know that I don’t want to be one of the “corrupt” that breaks God’s heart.

This psalm is a great reminder of what I don’t want to be … No. I want to live for Him and bring glory to Him.


No comments: