Friday, October 26, 2007

It's Hard to be Humble

There used to be a saying, "It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." It was usually said tongue-in-cheek, but every time I heard someone say it, I saw a glimmer of truth.

Humility is hard, but not because we're so great. Something in our sin-filled nature likes to make us think that we're better than we are. We're smarter than others, prettier than others, more talented than others. And sometimes that might be true. But it's more often not.

A friend of mine at work forwarded a "thought for the day" about humility, and it captured my heart. The verse was 1 Peter 5:6, "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time."

The unnamed author of the thought wrote that "we often worry about our position and status, hoping we'll get proper recognition for what we do." Isn't that the truth? We somehow think if we receive the praise of man (or woman), we'll please God more.

True humility means that we're willing to do anything for anyone at any time in order to bring glory to God. We'll clean toilets or speak on platforms. It doesn't matter what as long as we're doing God's will to His glory.

I want to be that humble. I want to be willing to do whatever He asks. I pray that I might be that humble. How about you?

No comments: