Friday, January 15, 2010

Foolish Things

As I was spending time with the Lord this morning, I decided to read some of Psalm 119 and was brought to a screeching halt by verse 37.

I first read the NASB, which says, "Turn away my eyes from looking at vanities, And revive me in Your ways."

I had to check out other versions. The NIV translates "vanities" as "worthless things," and The Message, "toys and trinkets."

Then I came across CEV's rendition:
Take away my foolish desires,
and let me find life
by walking with you.

Join me in my screeching halt and read these words again. And then again.

We just came out of a season where the world is focusing on things, and perhaps many of us who know better got caught right up with it. It's easy, I know, to get tunnel vision. My house. My clothes. My car.

Then the bottom falls out of the economy.

Or even worse, an earthquake destroys a nation.

What then? What do our "foolish desires" really get us? Where does our focus on "toys and trinkets" leave us?

Nothing or nowhere I really want to be. I'd much rather find life in walking with Jesus. I'd rather take my eyes off of my often foolish desires and focus on the plan of my loving Father.

How about you?

As I close this week's blog, please pray for Haiti and its people. Pray for those who are traveling as I write to offer a helping hand. Pray for those who are using this as a political forum.

And remember, even when it's so very hard to see, our loving Father is in control of this too.

No comments: