Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Useful and Fruitful (2 Peter 1:8-9)

For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
(2 Peter 1:8-9, NASB)

The exhortation continues …

Not only should we have all the qualities we talked about yesterday, but they should also be increasing in us. But look at the outcome: We will be useful and fruitful. If we're increasing in our knowledge of Christ, our perseverance, our brotherly love, God will use us to build His kingdom.

What a gift!

Yesterday, I had the privilege of speaking at two women’s groups. I was so blessed when some of the women told me how God had inspired them, encouraged them. It’s amazing to me when I think that God chooses to use the broken and flawed to fulfill His purpose. Each time I have the wonderful gift to speak, I’m humbly grateful. He’s made me useful and fruitful.

But Peter doesn’t stop there. And this is the heartbreaking part of these verses. If we “lack these qualities,” we are blind. We have “forgotten [our] purification from … former sins.”

Oh, may that never be true! May we never forget what Christ has done for us! May our remembering His sacrifice on our behalf create in us an urgency to be all those things: loving, patient, kind, growing in knowledge.

It’s the least we can do to show our gratitude.

No comments: