Thursday, July 01, 2010

Be Diligent (2 Peter 3:13-16)

But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
(2 Peter 3:13-16, NASB)

We are looking forward to that new heavens and a new earth. Well, I guess I should speak only for myself, but I’m really looking forward to being with my Lord for eternity. And as we learned yesterday, we need to be diligent about our behavior. How will Jesus find you when He returns? Will you be “spotless and blameless”—or as close to these as possible? Will He find you sharing His truth or reading His word or loving others?

What can we do to be fully prepared for Christ’s return?

We need to wisely study God’s word. Pray for the Spirit’s discernment as we read. We can’t rely on the teachings of those who are “untaught and unstable,” for they will distort His truth. That distortion will destroy them … don’t let it destroy you as well.

The bottom line: Know God. Know His word. Live as Christ-like as possible. Not easy. Not simple. But well worth it. For as I wrote yesterday, don’t you want to hear the Father say to you, with love and pride in His voice, “Well done, My good and faithful servant”?

I know I do.

No comments: