Friday, August 20, 2010

If ... Then ... (1 John 5:1)

Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.
(1 John 5:1, NASB)

Science was never my favorite subject. English? Absolutely loved. History? Usually pretty interesting. Math? Okay—sometimes. But science? Not so much. But I did find the “if, then” logic of scientific hypothesis intriguing. If one thing is true, then this other thing is equally true.

The Bible contains many hypotheses as well, and John has two great ones in this single verse.

If I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, then I am born of God. If another person also believes the same, then she is born of God as well. Further, if I love the Father, then I will love those born of Him (i.e., other Christ-followers).

The contrary cannot be true, according to John’s hypothesis. I cannot love God, yet hate those born of Him.

Maybe this is a good litmus test on how closely we follow our Lord. If we can genuinely love our brothers and sisters in Christ (and as we’ve talked about before, this doesn’t mean we necessarily love their actions and certainly not their sin), then we are truly God’s children.

Do you pass the test? Or do you have some work to do?

No comments: