Sunday, December 05, 2010

Love Your "Family" (1 Tim. 5:1-2)

Do not sharply rebuke an older man, but rather appeal to him as a father, to the younger men as brothers, the older women as mothers, and the younger women as sisters, in all purity.
(1 Timothy 5:1-2, NASB)

If you’re a follower of Christ, you’re part of a world-wide family. Anywhere you go, you can find a Bible-believing church, and immediately, you’re with brothers and sisters.

I’m blessed to speak for women’s events and retreats, and it never fails to bless my heart. This past Friday, I spoke at a church over 100 miles from my home. I’d never been there, and the only contact I’d had was by phone and email with the head of the planning committee. But when I arrived, I was embraced by sisters I’d never met. And then the worship leader, the sound man, and two of the planning committee prayed before the event … and I was with family.

We are blessed to be a part of God’s family, and we should cherish and honor our relationships with our brothers and sisters. There is no place for gossip or maligning in our family. No pride. No dissension. No resentment. No jealousy.

Rather, we should genuinely love, support, and celebrate each other. Because we should, and because doing so delights our Father’s heart.

No comments: