Monday, December 27, 2010

Seek God Earnestly (Ps. 63:1-2)

O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;
My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.

(Psalm 63:1-2, NASB)

I can’t believe 2010 is almost over. This year truly has flown!

I’m finishing out this year with another of my favorite psalms, the 63rd.

Oh how I desire to seek after my God earnestly. I want to thirst after Him, yearn for Him. I want to see His power and glory in all places and at all times.

But sometimes I don’t. I don’t seek after Him. I don’t thirst for Him. I don’t yearn for Him.

I so often get caught up in my own day-to-day “stuff.” Housework. Ministry tasks. Home business to-do’s. Busy work. Necessary, yet, on the grand scheme of things, worthless.

I do so much that seems important now, yet when I look toward eternity, it doesn’t have much value. Not that I shouldn’t take care of what God’s loaned me on earth. It’s just that I need to focus on what’s really important.

My heart should always be God-focused. I should miss Him if I don’t spend time with Him every day. He should be my first thought upon waking and my last before falling asleep. His word should be daily soul-sustenance.

As we enter another year, I pray my heart will yearn even more for my God. And I pray the same for you.

No comments: