Saturday, January 29, 2011

Don't Hold It Against Others (2 Tim. 4:9-16)

Make every effort to come to me soon; for Demas, having loved this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica; Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Pick up Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for service. But Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus. When you come bring the cloak which I left at Troas with Carpus, and the books, especially the parchments. Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. Be on guard against him yourself, for he vigorously opposed our teaching. At my first defense no one supported me, but all deserted me; may it not be counted against them.
(2 Timothy 4:9-16, NASB)

We were created for relationship. We need other people in our lives.

But sometimes those “others” let us down. Sometimes they harm us. Sometimes they desert us. Sometimes they oppose us.

What do we do then? In just a few words, Paul answered that question: “may it not be counted against them.”

I interpret these words as “Pray for them.” He didn’t want them to be harmed in return. He didn’t want revenge. Rather, he “hope[ed] it [wouldn’t] be held against them” (CEV). And how would it not be “held against them”? Well, as far as I know, the only way something we don’t hold something against another person is if we forgive them. But often we can’t do that easily on our own. We need help.

And so, I believe Paul prayed for those who harmed him. I believe he chose to forgive them and, even more, he prayed for their redemption.

It reminds me of stories you read about a murder victim’s parent going to visit the killer and offering him forgiveness. And being able to do this is only possible by prayerfully seeking God’s help.

Is there anyone who has harmed you? Have you been deserted? It may be the hardest thing for you to do, but forgive them. Then pray for them. Don’t hold anything against them.

And let God do His work in them.

No comments: