Monday, January 03, 2011

A Lasting Legacy (2 Tim. 1:5-6)

For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well. For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
(2 Timothy 1:5-6, NASB)

Timothy was blessed with a wonderful legacy of faith. His mother and his grandmother were women of sincere faith, and they clearly instilled that faith in Timothy.

I have been very blessed with the same legacy. Both of my grandmothers were strong women of faith. These women loved Jesus—heart, soul, mind, and strength. They studied God’s word and prayed regularly for their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. And their prayers were felt, especially by me. I have no doubt their prayers helped to bring this prodigal back to the arms of the Father.

My mom is also such a woman. Her life has been far from perfect, but she remains one of the strongest women of faith I know. She’s shown an unconditional love to her children, and I know she prays for us regularly. She prays for our health, for our protection, for our spiritual journeys.

And I pray I’m providing the same legacy for my “children.” My nieces and nephews. Other “children of my heart.” I pray God will use me to help future generations to know Him and to become men and women of faith.

I couldn’t ask to leave a better legacy.

No comments: