Thursday, January 06, 2011

My More-Than-Able God (2 Tim. 1:12-14)

For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day. Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.
(2 Timothy 1:12-14, NASB)

Growing up in a Baptist church, I sang a lot of old hymns. And I remember the words of one of my favorites. As I sang this song as a child, I had no idea the words came from 2 Timothy:
I know whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him until that day.
(Whittle, McGranahan, 1883)
I love the words of that old Scripture-inspired hymn because it reminds me that the God I’ve put my trust in is able. Able to keep me strong. Able to provide. Able to give comfort. Able to shower with peace. Able to help me overcome any situation.

He is greater than anything or anyone. And until the day I leave this earth, either through death or at Christ’s return, He will faithfully hold me safely and securely in His more-than-able right hand (Isaiah 41:10).

No comments: