Saturday, October 22, 2011

What Would Paul Say? (2 Thess. 1:1-4)

Paul and Silvanus and Timothy, to the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting, because your faith is greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward one another grows ever greater; therefore, we ourselves speak proudly of you among the churches of God for your perseverance and faith in the midst of all your persecutions and afflictions which you endure.
(2 Thessalonians 1:1-4, NASB)

Today, we begin a journey through Paul’s second letter to the church in Thessalonica. As was his habit, he begins by greeting the church and praying for God’s grace and peace to cover them. Then he gives specific thanks for their “enlarged” faith and love for one another.

Finally, he, just like a proud father, commends them for their withstanding “persecutions and affliction” with great faith and endurance.

Often when I read one of Paul’s letters, I ask myself, “If Paul were to write to me, would he say the same things about my faith?”

I certainly hope so.

My faith has grown over the years, and I do try to love my brothers and sisters more. And I do endure my daily afflictions. But I know I wouldn’t be able to do any of this without the grace I receive from my Lord and Savior.

As you meditate on today’s verses, ask yourself the same question: What would Paul write to you?

No comments: