Saturday, December 03, 2011

He is Kind (Ps. 42:8)

Every day, you are kind,
and at night
you give me a song
as my prayer to you,
the living LORD God.

(Psalm 42:8, CEV)

Oh, how I needed today’s verse after yesterday’s! Yesterday, the waves were crashing and discouragement was rampant.

And today? I remember that God is always kind—every day and night. I am never, ever alone, even walking through the darkest of valleys. Even if I walk through the “shadow of the valley of death” (Ps. 23:4), I don’t need to fear anything because He promises to never leave me, going with me wherever I am (Deut. 31:6).

Maybe to some it sounds contradictory: Why does a loving, kind God allow the valleys in the first place? It’s because of the tragic choice of the first man and woman. Does it seem unfair that we experience pain and crisis and suffering because of their choice? Perhaps, according to human standards. But when sin entered the world, all the junk that comes with it entered too. And even we believers sometimes get hurt by sin’s touch.

Ah, but that’s where God’s kindness comes in. I believe His heart breaks when He sees His children suffer. And when we do, He gathers us in His arms and listens to our cries. It’s just like an earthly parent. Things are going to happen to our children, things that hurt them. And yes, we’d like to take the hurt away, but sometimes all we can do is love and comfort them.

Just as our heavenly Father loves and comforts us.

No comments: