Sunday, December 04, 2011

Where Is My God? (Ps. 42:9-10)

You are my mighty rock.
Why have you forgotten me?
Why must enemies mistreat me
and make me sad?
Even my bones are in pain,
while all day long
my enemies sneer and ask,
"Where is your God?"

(Psalm 42:9-10, CEV)

I’ve decided to call this the schizophrenic psalm. Back and forth it goes. Despair to praise. Sorrow to trust.

Today, even these two verses have a bit of contrariness to them. Then first sentence is full of power and strength. The psalmist asserts that God is his rock, his strength. Yet, he immediately questions, “Why have you forgotten me?”

Even though he knows that God is the all-powerful One, he still feels forgotten. He is overwhelmed by the mistreatment from his enemies. He is sad. He is in pain.

And when his enemies see his pain, they sneer at him for his trust in a God who seems non-existent.

I wonder sometimes if my “enemies” sneer at me. By enemies, in this case, I think of those I know who don’t believe in my God. When they see me suffer, when they see the constant pain I endure, I wonder if they sarcastically say, “Where is that God you believe in? Why would He allow such pain if He’s so good and strong?”

I don’t know why God has allowed me to feel such pain. But I do know He’s here with me. I know He hasn’t forgotten me.

Not now. Not ever.

No comments: