Thursday, December 01, 2011

Praise and Sorrow (Ps. 42:4-6a)

Sorrow floods my heart,
when I remember
leading the worshipers
to your house.
I can still hear them shout
their joyful praises.
Why am I discouraged?
Why am I restless?
I trust you!
And I will praise you again
because you help me,
and you are my God.

(Psalm 42:4-6a, CEV)

I love to sing, and I’ve been privileged to be on worship teams for years. Lifting my voice and my hands in praise and worship is one of my favorite ways to commune with the Lord.

But I confess: There have been times when I led worship with less than a joyful heart. Times when it was more about me than about Him. And sorrow fills my heart.

Praise God, He forgives … and even when my heart hasn’t been right, His always is.

Worship and sorrow are mutually exclusive. If my heart is focused on Him and lifting His name in praise, I can’t be sorrowful.

Yet sometimes I am discouraged. Sometimes I am restless. Just this past Sunday, I went to church in more-than-usual pain. I knew I needed to be there. It’s so important for me to worship with other believers. But I did feel discouraged, and as I sat trying to find a comfortable position, I was restless.

What do I do when I feel discouraged and restless … and I still want to praise? I have to remember that God will help me. If I ask Him, He’ll cover the pain … for the moment, at least.

No comments: