Monday, March 19, 2012

This World Is Passing Away (1 Cor. 7:29-31)

But this I say, brethren, the time has been shortened, so that from now on those who have wives should be as though they had none; and those who weep, as though they did not weep; and those who rejoice, as though they did not rejoice; and those who buy, as though they did not possess; and those who use the world, as though they did not make full use of it; for the form of this world is passing away.
(1 Corinthians 7:29-31, NASB)

Paul encompasses these verses with two similar thoughts: “… the time has been shortened …” and “… for the form of this world is passing away.” According to Matthew Henry Complete Commentary of the Entire Bible:
It will soon be gone. It is just ready to be wrapped up in eternity. Therefore do not set your hearts on worldly enjoyments. Do not be overwhelmed with worldly cares and troubles. Possess what you must shortly leave without suffering yourselves to be possessed by it. Why should your hearts be much set on what you must quickly resign?
This world is winding down. As it grows more corrupt and its citizens become more antagonistic toward matters of faith, I can’t help but think that Christ’s return is imminent.

And so, we who know truth should hold onto things very, very lightly.

I often use an illustration when I speak. I hold both hands in front of me close-fisted. I then say that we should just give up everything to our faithful, loving, merciful God, and I open my fist, palms facing upward. And then I smile and say, “But how often do we say, 'You can have everything except for …'” and I close one fist and pull it back.

We truly need to give up everything—everything—to God, for three reasons: Everything is His anyway (see Psalm 89:11); if we leave this earth through death, we’ll leave everything behind anyway; and, if we’re still here when Christ returns, this world and all that’s in it will pass away.

So indeed, hold onto this life, this world, these possessions lightly. For this world really is passing away.

No comments: