Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Love Does Not Brag (1 Cor. 13:4-7)

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(1 Corinthians 13:4-7, NASB)

Love does not brag.

True love is never about me. True love is my looking out for others, caring for others, supporting others. 

If I truly love someone, I shouldn’t be thinking about myself and what I can do. And if my thoughts aren’t on me, then I won‘t be bragging on my accomplishments. In fact, I really won’t care about what I do that’s “newsworthy.” I’ll be content to stay in the background. And when I do have the opportunity to be in the limelight, I won’t go around telling everyone.

This can be tough. Sometimes, we get excited about a God-given chance to shine. I have the privilege to perform on stage periodically. Sometimes I get to play a more principal role; sometimes I’m in the ensemble. And when I have a larger role,
I have to be very careful. I can walk a very, very fine line between bragging about my part in a play and just wanting people to come out to see a talented cast of storytellers. No matter what I’m doing, the question is, will I “publicize” each and every play in the same way? Will I brag on the principal actors and be just as excited to have people come see a show when I don't have a more substantial role?

I pray this is so! Because, when I love others, I should want to boast about them

What about you? Are you boasting in your own accomplishments? Are you telling everyone how wonderful you are? Or are you content to stand back and let others shine? And tell everyone how wonderful they are?

No comments: