Saturday, April 21, 2012

A More Excellent Way (1 Cor. 12:31b-13:3)

And I show you a still more excellent way. If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
(1 Corinthians 12:31b-13:3, NASB)

We’ve been talking a lot about spiritual giftedness over the last several days. How we should use our gifts. How we’re all a part of the body of Christ’s. How each of us should work together in order to serve God. How we are to reach others with the gospel.

But our gifts aren’t worth anything if they’re not founded on love. God is love, and everything He does is founded on His great love for us. We, in turn, should use the gifts with which He’s blessed us to serve Him and others in love. The apostle John, the one whom Christ loved, writes, “My dear friends, we must love each other. Love comes from God, and when we love each other, it shows that we have been given new life. We are now God's children, and we know him” (1 John 4:7, CEV).

Serving God and using His gifts in love is a “more excellent way.” And it’s really a matter of heart and motivation. We can preach with fervency, teach with great knowledge, open our homes for fellowship, or offer mercy to the “least of these.” However, if we don’t do these with love—genuine love—for God and others, all we do “profits [us] nothing.” In other words, it won’t bring kingdom-building results.

We must, as Jesus said, “… ‘LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.’ The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:30-31, NASB).

No comments: