Saturday, May 12, 2012

Our Living Christ (1 Cor. 15:29-34)

Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them? Why are we also in danger every hour? I affirm, brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, LET US EAT AND DRINK, FOR TOMORROW WE DIE. Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.” Become sober-minded as you ought, and stop sinning; for some have no knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.
(1 Corinthians 15:29-34, NASB)

If Jesus Christ didn’t rise from the grave, then everything is futile. There is no purpose, no meaning. If, as some people say, when we die, we die and become worm food, then why bother?

If I didn’t believe there was a purpose to my life, a God-designed purpose, I wouldn’t want to live. Seriously. I watch this world get more and more corrupt. I see the selfishness in its people. I hear the hate and anger. It’s so often not a very pleasant place to be.

And when I wake up in the morning, and the pain is overwhelming, if I didn’t know God would give me the strength to make it through each moment and if I didn’t know He’d use the pain for His glory … well, again, I wouldn’t want to live.

But I do believe Christ rose from the dead. I believe He lives today. I believe God has a great purpose for all things. I believe I need to live for Christ and strive to stop sinning.

So I do get up every morning. I trust in His strength. I believe in His purpose and plan. I ask for help to avoid sin.

And I look forward to the day of Christ’s return.

No comments: