Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Very Memory Has Perished (Ps. 9:4-6)


For You have maintained my just cause;
         You have sat on the throne judging righteously.
You have rebuked the nations, You have destroyed the wicked;
         You have blotted out their name forever and ever.
The enemy has come to an end in perpetual ruins,
         And You have uprooted the cities;
         The very memory of them has perished.

(Psalm 9:4-6, NASB)

 

I don’t know if David meant them to be, but these verses are quite prophetic. If you read about the nations that fought against Israel in David’s time, you’ll see that many of them don’t exist any longer.

I read these verses, though, and they become quite personal. I encourage you to read them the same way.

I’ve had “enemies.” I’ve faced the “wicked.” I’ve been attacked and abused. And even though I may not have seen it at the time, God always “maintained my just cause.” He always had my back, as they say. And although my own enemies may not have been destroyed, God has been gracious and has taken away the “very memory.” Or should I say, He’s taken away the power of those memories.

God continues to sit on His throne “judging righteously,” and I’m confident that one day anyone who hurt me, who hurt you, will be judged.

In the meantime, let God take the “very memory” of your own enemies from your heart and mind. Let Him remove the anger or unforgiveness you feel and replace it with His peace, His joy.

No comments: