Friday, July 13, 2012

A Firm Foundation (2 Cor. 3:10-11)

According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
(2 Corinthians 3:10-11, NASB)

On Wednesday, I looked at how some of us are seed planters and others are reapers. Today, Paul continues the thought of how we all work together to reach people for Christ. This time, he uses the analogy of building.

I worked for many years at a Christian credit union that focused on working with churches and other ministries to build facilities. And one thing is certainly true: Without a solid foundation, no building stands.

It’s the same with our faith. It must be laid on a firm foundation. Our foundation is Jesus Christ Himself. He is the foundation and the cornerstone of all we believe.

We often first learn of Christian faith by hearing a gifted speaker or preacher. He or she may have laid the foundation of our understanding what it means to be a follower of Christ. But most of the time, others help to build our faith.

Sunday school teachers. Parents. Grandparents. Friends.

My own foundation was initially laid by my own father. He was the one who first introduced me to Jesus. My father left our family when I was seven, though, so for many years, my faith was built into by my mom and my maternal grandfather.

Through the years, as my faith has grown, I’ve had gifted teachers help me better understand God’s word. I’ve read wonderful books that have enriched my Christian walk. I’ve studied and meditated on the Scriptures.

All built on a foundation laid many, many years ago.

Who helped to build your faith? And under whose faith are you helping to lay a foundation … or on what foundation are you helping to build?

No comments: