Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Process of Reaping (2 Cor. 3:4-9)

For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men? What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.
(2 Corinthians 3:4-9, NASB)

When I first felt called to speak, I’d get discouraged if no one made any decisions to accept Christ when I’d give the gospel. Did I not speak clearly enough? Did I not explain things well enough? Was I not engaging enough?

And then two things happened:

First, I heard God say (not in an audible voice but as clear as can be), “Get over yourself, Sauni. I’m the One speaking, and I’m the One touching lives. So just do what I’ve called you to do and say what I give you to say, and let Me do the rest.”

Second, I was reminded that not all of us are reapers. Some of us till the soil. Some of us sow the seed. Some of us water. But each of us is critical to growth.

Without someone clearing the weeds and other potential problems from the soil, then the seeds can’t take root. Without someone planting the seeds … well then, there would be nothing to grow. Without someone watering, the gently-planted seeds can’t grow.

When you stop to think about it, no one could reap anything without other people laying the groundwork … and possibly more often than not, this happens before the reaper even enters the picture.

Now that I’ve been speaking for eight years, I understand that God will use me however He chooses. And while I’ve certainly been blessed to have many indicate their decision to follow Christ when they’ve heard me speak, I take no credit. I’m reaping the harvest of other people’s work.

And when I speak and no one chooses Christ at that moment? Who knows but that I’ve planted a seed or sprinkled the water of God’s word into a prepared heart.

No comments: