Thursday, July 05, 2012

God Is Faithful (2 Cor. 1:15-19)

In this confidence I intended at first to come to you, so that you might twice receive a blessing; that is, to pass your way into Macedonia, and again from Macedonia to come to you, and by you to be helped on my journey to Judea. Therefore, I was not vacillating when I intended to do this, was I? Or what I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, so that with me there will be yes, yes and no, no at the same time? But as God is faithful, our word to you is not yes and no. For the Son of God, Christ Jesus, who was preached among you by us—by me and Silvanus and Timothy—was not yes and no, but is yes in Him.
(2 Corinthians 1:15-19, NASB)

Sometimes I read several verses, and I see all kinds of application. Words that affirm. Phrases that convict. Other times, just one or two words jump out at me, and I spend time meditating on just those few words.

Such is the case today. Paul makes a good point about not vacillating when moving forward with God’s plan, but the words that speak the most to me today?

God is faithful.


It seems like there is so little in this world in which we can put our faith. People let us down. Governments crumble. Things fall apart. Stock markets crash.

Nothing or no one is worthy of our trust. And so we just don’t trust anyone or anything. Then we won’t be hurt.

But that’s no way to live. And that’s not how we were created to live. God created us for relationship with Him and with others. He’s blessed us with, as I wrote yesterday, “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

And yet, if people and things let us down, if they prove to be unfaithful, in whom or in what can we put our trust? Who will be faithful, no matter what?

Our God will be. Always.

He will love us everlastingly. He will never, ever leave us alone. He will be by our sides through the good and will carry us through the bad.

He is faithful, when no one or nothing else is.

In God you really can trust!

No comments: