Wednesday, March 13, 2013

God's Sustaining Love (Psalm 145:14)


Today's scripture: Psalm 145:14

I so love verses like this that remind me of God's sustaining of me. When I figuratively fall, which happens more often than I'd like, He carries me. When I am "bowed down" with pain and weariness, He raises me up.

I often wonder how those who don't have this confidence handle chronic pain or catastrophic illness. How do they live with this kind of hurt?

I don't know. I do know when I went through valleys during my season of rebellion, depression set in to the point of my wondering if life was worth living. I guess this is why so many choose to end their own lives.

Without the sustaining power of God, without the confidence that He has a plan for the pain, I too wouldn't want to live with it. As melodramatic as that may sound, it's true.

It's only because I know how God carries me when I just can't take one more step that I get up each morning. I've memorized verses like Psalm 55:22, where the psalmist writes, "Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." I cling to Jesus' promises of rest in Him (Matthew 11:28-30). I praise God that I can give Him every concern or anxiety because I know He loves me (1 Peter 5:7).

I am so very grateful for this reminder. If you're hurting today, if you have fallen, reach your hand up to the one Who loves you, Who will sustain you, Who will raise you up.

Your God loves you, and He will carry you. Every day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband read Psalm 55 to me yesterday!

Anonymous said...

My husband read Psalm 55 to me yesterday!

Sauni Rinehart said...

It's one of my favorites!